Online Help >
Online Help: Printing: General
Print Spool Names
You can print to the laser printers via the following machines:
- kepler.berkeley.edu (login server)
- 1111 Etch Linux Workstations
Print Spool Names
The lpr printing system uses "print queues" to provide users with
access to multiple printers, or even different functions on the same printer.
A user just needs to specify the queue name when printing.
When the job is entered into the queue it is given a job
number with which it can be manipulated
Following are the printer queues available on DECF:
- duplex (default printer in room in DUPLEX mode)
- *no name specified* (default printer in room)
- lp1111 (1111 Printers - HP4100DTN, HP4350DTN)
- lp1111-duplex (1111 Printers - HP4100DTN, HP4350DTN in DUPLEX mode)
- colorps (HP3800DTN Color Laserjet, default)
- colorps-duplex (HP3800DTN Color Laserjet, in DUPLEX mode)
|lpr -P duplex filename
||sends "filename" to the "duplex" queue
||sends "filename" to the default print queue
|lpr filename1 filename2
||sends multiple files to default print queue
||Views print jobs in default queue
|lpq -P lp1111
||Views print jobs in the "lp1111-2" queue
|lprm -P lp1111-2 635
||Remove job number 635 from the "lp1111-2" queue
You should be able to print any of the following file types directly on the command prompt. Printing other file types may spew out gibberish.
- Postscript (.ps)
- PDF (.pdf)
- GIF (.gif)
- JPG (.jpg)
- DVI (.dvi)
1111 ETCH LINUX CLUSTER
- Hit the Print Screen button on the upper left side of the keyboard.
You will be prompted to save the screen shot. Use the default filename Screenshot.png.
- Right click on the desktop and click on "New Terminal"
- Navigate to where you saved to file. If you saved it under your home directory, you can do a "ls" to see the file.
- Print the file by typing lpr Screenshot.png. It will be printed to the default printer in the room.
If you want to touch up the file. Double click on User's Home on the desktop. Right click on the file name, and you can open it using "Gimp", which is a Photoshop-like program, or any of the other image programs.
- SSH into kepler.berkeley.edu
- unix% screenshot filename.ps
- Highlight the window you want to print. You may have to click on
- lpr filename.ps
Control of trash, particularly scrap paper which tends to accumulate in
the printer room is a problem for all users. This is a user-operated
facility and we do not have a custodian who picks up after us. WE ALL DO
Please be courteous and responsible enough to follow the following rules.
If you find someone who is unaware of the rules don't hesitate to remind him
of this simple set of rules which will keep our facility the best managed and
most pleasant place to work on campus.
Thanks for your cooperation!
- No food or drink around the workstations at any time.
- Clean up all scrap paper and deposit in waste containers before you leave.
- If you find unclaimed output in the printer basket separate it by login
name and file it in the appropriate bin alphabetically. The next
time you may be grateful for the courtesy.
- If you find scrap paper lying about PICK IT UP and deposit it in the trash
container. If you see someone leaving scrap paper ask that person to pick